Makeover Mint Layer Brownies
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat butter
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- MINT LAYER:
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 drops green food coloring, optional
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, then egg whites, beating well after each addition. Beat in the applesauce, chocolate and vanilla (mixture will appear curdled).
- Combine the flour, cocoa and salt; stir into butter mixture just until blended. Pour into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 22-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For mint layer, in a small bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners’ sugar, extract and food coloring if desired; beat until smooth. Spread over cooled brownies. Refrigerate until firm.
- For icing, in a microwave, melt chocolate chips and butter; stir until smooth. Gently pour over the top. Refrigerate until set. Cut into bars.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Land O'Lakes light stick butter.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 218 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 134mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Apr 15, 2012
Good healthy alternative. Not as rich tasting as non-healthy version.
Sep 5, 2011
Scrumptious! I used 3/4 cup egg substitute in place of the eggs and egg whites, but otherwise followed the recipe as written. The whole family devoured these!
Mar 23, 2010
These brownies were delicious! My husband and I were fighting over them and everyone at work loved them. The portion size is big too. Next time I'll try it without butter in the top chocolate layer and less in the mint layer.
Jan 17, 2010
We used a brownie mix for the brownie part and it tasted great and then added the mint and chocolate layer-it tasted great if you are in hurry.
Nov 28, 2009
made two batches for thanksgiving and none are left that said it all