Makeover Meringue Coconut Brownies
A chocolate lover’s dream, these bars have a rich, pleasant chocolate taste. —Ellen Aho, South Paris, Maine
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup plus 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- In a small bowl, cream the butter, 1/3 cup brown sugar and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Press into a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with chocolate chips, coconut and walnuts.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining brown sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat until stiff peaks form. Spread over the top. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (do not overbake).
- Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 181 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 92mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.