Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup plus 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- In a small bowl, cream the butter, 1/3 cup brown sugar and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Press into a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with chocolate chips, coconut and walnuts.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining brown sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat until stiff peaks form. Spread over the top. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (do not overbake).
- Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator.
1 each: 181 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 92mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.