If you've never tried tofu before, this is the best recipe to give it a try. It blends in with all the other ingredients, adding protein without the fat and calories of ground beef. —Mary Lou Moeller, Wooster, Ohio
Recommended: 40 Light-ish Recipes That Don’t Skimp on Cheese
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 10 uncooked whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 package (14 ounces) firm tofu, drained and cubed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups (24 ounces) 2% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cook noodles according to package directions for al dente. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook mushrooms and onion over medium heat until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes and tomato paste; cook and stir until heated through.
- Pulse tofu in a food processor until smooth. Add next five ingredients; pulse until combined. Drain noodles.
- Place five noodles into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, overlapping as needed. Layer with half of the tofu mixture, half of the sauce and half of the mozzarella. Top with remaining noodles, tofu mixture and sauce.
- Bake, covered, 35 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Bake, uncovered, until cheese is melted, 10-15 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Meatless Lasagna in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2018