Makeover Manicotti Crepes
Total TimePrep: 1-1/2 hours + simmering Bake: 35 min.
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1-3/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- For sauce, place tomatoes in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a large saucepan; add the water, tomato sauce, sugar, oregano and celery salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; gently simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours or until reduced to 4-1/2 cups, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, for crepes, beat the eggs, egg substitute, milk and oil in a large bowl. Combine flour and salt; add egg mixture and stir until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- For filling, in a large bowl, soak bread in milk for 5 minutes. Stir in the egg substitute, green pepper, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture and mix well. Stir in mozzarella. Cover and refrigerate until assembling.
- Coat an 8-in. nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat. Stir crepe batter; pour 3 tablespoons into center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to coat bottom evenly. Cook until top appears dry; turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, coating skillet with cooking spray as needed. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between.
- Spread about 1/4 cup filling down the center of each crepe; roll up and place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish and an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon sauce over top; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°
Nutrition Facts2 each: 319 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 977mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 medium-fat meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 11, 2013
good taste, alot of work
Jan 31, 2010
This would have been five stars if it hadn't of taken me so long to cook it! I was in the kitchen from about 4:30 to 8:30 making this. Because of the time I probably won't make this recipe more then once every few months but it's definitely worth the wait. I now prefer the crepes rather then manicotti noodles because the texture was so enjoyable. Instead of only using a half pound of italian sausage I used a whole pound and reduced the ground beef to only half a pound. Everything about this recipe was very tasty!
Dec 14, 2009