Makeover Mama Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon yellow food coloring, optional
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Beat in the eggs, applesauce and oil. In a small bowl, combine the evaporated milk, buttermilk, extracts and food coloring if desired.
- Combine the flours, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to the butter mixture alternately with milk mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a 10-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 273 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 308mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Feb 3, 2010
I had high hopes for this light version of dessert. It has no real flavor, suprising due to the vanilla(I only use real vanilla) and lemon extracts. I didn't want a super sweet cake as I was serving it with mocha coffee with whipped cream. I ended up pouring chocolate sauce on the cake and dollops of whipped cream. Maybe good with a lemon glaze. But this was a lot of effort for the end result.
Oct 19, 2009
Fantastic, wonderful flavor the whole family loves it!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.