Makeover Mama Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon yellow food coloring, optional
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Beat in the eggs, applesauce and oil. In a small bowl, combine the evaporated milk, buttermilk, extracts and food coloring if desired.
- Combine the flours, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to the butter mixture alternately with milk mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a 10-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 273 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 308mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Feb 3, 2010
I had high hopes for this light version of dessert. It has no real flavor, suprising due to the vanilla(I only use real vanilla) and lemon extracts. I didn't want a super sweet cake as I was serving it with mocha coffee with whipped cream. I ended up pouring chocolate sauce on the cake and dollops of whipped cream. Maybe good with a lemon glaze. But this was a lot of effort for the end result.
Oct 19, 2009
Fantastic, wonderful flavor the whole family loves it!