Makeover Macaroon Cake Recipe
- 6 egg whites
- 4 egg yolks
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- 1. Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 2. Move oven rack to lowest position. Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks, sugar, applesauce and oil until well blended; beat in milk and extract. Combine flours, coconut, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into egg yolk mixture until blended.
- 3. In another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- 4. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack 65-75 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 5. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice: 287 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 155mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Makeover Macaroon Cake
"Everyone who tried this cake enjoyed it. I thought the makeover went well and I will definitely make it again! This coming from a woman who bakes weekly. Job well done!"
"PS. Thanks Gaye for sharing!!!"
"This cake is great. I didn't have cake flour and wasn't able to find any but looked online and found a substitute: 1 c. cake flour = 7/8 c. all purpose flour + 2 Tbs. cornstarch. I just adjusted the measurements for the 1 1/2 c. asked for in the recipe. This worked well but online did say the cake would be denser if cake flour was not used and this cake did turn out denser than if used cake flour (probably, never used cake flour). This cake is good as written but if I were to make any changes, I would add more coconut or perhaps substitute coconut extract for the almond extract since I thought the coconut flavor was not quite strong enough (not an issue really). This would be even more awesome toasted with some ice cream and chocolate or fruit syrup, OMG!!! :):):)"
"followed exactly, but used orange extract instead of almont...the best cake in a long time"
"I used Sweetend :)"
"Can someone please let me know if you used sweetened coconut or unsweetened? I'm making this tomorrow! :)"
"i have not made this yet but i defentily will try it. sounds easy and yummy to gowith our coffee."
"Did not work out well. Overflowed all over the oven! Followed the directions to the letter, but used regular flour instead of cake flour. I am at 7200 feet elevation, so maybe it's just not a high altitude recipe."
"Definitely do not grease your pan. I greased mine as one reviewer suggested and when I inverted the pan for cooling, my whole cake fell out."
"Question regarding this recipe then if cake flour is not available ? You would use 3 cups of flour minus 3 tablespoons, correct?"
"Delicious! Took it to the in-laws for supper and it was a hit. I didn't have cake flour, so I used all all-purpose flour. Also, I was short an egg white. It still turned out great! I will make it again and again!!"
"Loved this recipe! There weren't any stores near me that carried cake flour, so I looked online and it said to substitute it with 1 cup of flour minus 2 tablespoons. So the total amount of flour I used instead of the cake flour was 1 and 1/2 cups minus 3 tablespoons of flour. I have never used cake flour so I couldn't tell the difference, but it turned out delicious! No complaints:)"
"delicious, served it with strawberries and whipped cream"
"I really liked this recipe"
"cake was good, but DO NOT use an ungreased pan like the recipe calls for. I did and I couldn't get the top half out of the pan."
"Just Tried. Its really wonderful. A 5 Star recipe."
"Made this cake for Easter gathering. Sprinkled coconut on top and placed jelly beans around bottom. All the cousins loved it!"
"Made this for desert for family getogether and loved it not to heavy or sweet and the only thing I would do is maybe use a little more coconut as family loves taste ."
"We loved this! Despite the 2 1/4 C of sugar, this is not too sweet. The almond flavor and the coconut are fantastic!"