Makeover Lemon Custard Ice Cream
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Processing: 20 min./batch + freezing
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons apple jelly
- 3 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free sour cream
- 1 cup lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt. Gradually add milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat immediately; stir in jelly until melted.
- Quickly transfer to a large bowl; place bowl in a pan of ice water. Stir gently and occasionally for 2 minutes. Stir in half-and-half, sour cream and lemon juice. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze.) Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Repeat with remaining ice cream mixture.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 189 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 118mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
May 16, 2016
This is a great textured ice cream but it is not very lemony. If you are wanting a super lemon flavor this doesn't have it.
Jul 11, 2009
Enjoyed the texture, but the taste was too much sour cream and not enough lemon.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.