Makeover Lemon Custard Ice Cream
You'll love this fantastic light ice cream that matches the wonderful, yet heavier original in taste and texture. We think it'll quickly become a staple for your family. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Processing: 20 min./batch + freezing
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons apple jelly
- 3 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 cup lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt. Gradually add milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat immediately; stir in jelly until melted.
- Quickly transfer to a large bowl; place bowl in a pan of ice water. Stir gently and occasionally for 2 minutes. Stir in half-and-half, sour cream and lemon juice. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze.) Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Repeat with remaining ice cream mixture.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 189 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 118mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
May 16, 2016
This is a great textured ice cream but it is not very lemony. If you are wanting a super lemon flavor this doesn't have it.
Jul 11, 2009
Enjoyed the texture, but the taste was too much sour cream and not enough lemon.