- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons apple jelly
- 3 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free sour cream
- 1 cup lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- Whisk a small amount of hot milk mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir until mixture reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat; stir in jelly until melted. Stir in the half-and-half, sour cream and lemon juice. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 2 quarts.
Reviews forMakeover Lemon Custard Ice Cream
"This is a great textured ice cream but it is not very lemony. If you are wanting a super lemon flavor this doesn't have it."
"Enjoyed the texture, but the taste was too much sour cream and not enough lemon."