Makeover Holiday Salad
This lightened-up salad is sure to add a festive, guilt-free touch to your holiday table. The recipe comes from Pat Schmeling of Germantown, Wisconsin.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 4 large Red Delicious apples, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 9 cups torn romaine
- 3 cups chopped watercress (about 1-1/2 bunches)
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, water, mustard, dill, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Slowly add oil while whisking. In a large bowl, combine the apples, blue cheese, walnuts and 3 tablespoons dressing; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining dressing.
- Just before serving, combine romaine and watercress in a large salad bowl; drizzle with remaining dressing and toss to coat. Divide among 12 salad plates; top with apple mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 129 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 130mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable, 1 fruit.
Originally published as Autumn Salad in Light & Tasty December/January 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.