Makeover Holiday Pumpkin Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups plus 4 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, 1-1/2 cups sugar, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Combine the eggs, pumpkin, oil, water and vanilla; mix well. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in pecans.
- Spoon into two 8x4-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 197 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 124mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Oct 1, 2012
Why couldn't the sugar be replaced by splenda, cutting calories and carb ct significantly? Maybe you tried that and it didn't work.
Oct 26, 2011
I just made this bread and I absolutely love it! I searched for a few days to find a perfect go-to Pumkpin bread recipe that I could feel good about eating it as much as I enjoyed making it, this is the one!
Oct 18, 2010
Just made this recipe again for a bake sale this past weekend. Used walnuts because I was out of pecans... went very quickly! And I'll bet no one even guessed it was the "healthy" version!
Nov 25, 2009
Easy and great tasting! It is very moist and has just enough nuts. I have made it several times within the last month and plan to pass the recipie on to friends and family.
Oct 18, 2009
I've been making this recipe for years, as it's one of my kids' favorites. The sugar sprinkled on top gives it a crunchy, sweet crust.