- 3/4 cup golden raisins and cherries
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup brown sugar blend
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- Coat a 9x5-in. loaf pan with cooking spray. Line the bottom with waxed paper; spray the paper and sprinkle with flour. Set aside.
- Combine the golden raisins and cherries, walnuts and raisins. Set aside. In a large bowl, beat shortening and brown sugar blend until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in molasses and applesauce (mixture will appear curdled).
- Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, nutmeg, allspice, salt, baking soda and cloves; add to shortening mixture alternately with milk. Fold in raisin mixture.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake at 325° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews forMakeover Holiday Loaf
"What's with the shortening? Who uses that to bake with anymore?"
"I made this and it ok, but I made it again and use cream the next time and it was better. If you are wathing your weight, then use the fat-free milk. I like the cream better."