Makeover Hearty Egg Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 6 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups egg substitute
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the sausage, mushrooms and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in spinach and 1/2 cup cheese. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, egg substitute, cream, milk and nutmeg. Pour over sausage mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 195 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 137mg cholesterol, 332mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 18, 2013
This was very hearty and fantastic. I am a vegetarian so I used Morning Star sausage patties and crumbled them up. I served this for dinner with fruit and bread. The leftovers were even better
Feb 20, 2013
I used Jennie-O's breakfast turkey sausage to make it even healthier. I omitted the mushrooms since my husband does not like them and used 2 onions. I had no egg substitute home so I used 12 eggs. YUM!~ Theresa
Jul 13, 2011
I made this using hot pork breakfast sausage and it disappeared! Great.
Jul 13, 2011
The only thing I would add to this recipe is to line your baking dish with crescent rolls. Makes it even more delicious, but great as is.
Aug 16, 2010
This was very delicious. I prepared it for dinner with cinnamon bagels on the side. My husband particularly loved the Turkey sausage. It looked like way too much liquid, but turned out perfect!