Makeover German Sweet Chocolate Cake
"This is a delicious family recipe that I just love," writes Patricia Peebles from Springfield, Missouri. It's been slimmed-down using, but hasn't lost any of its original flavor.
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 2 ounces German sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar blend
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 package (5 ounces) prune baby food
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 egg whites
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons reduced-fat evaporated milk, divided
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 5 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, lightly toasted
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
- Coat three 9-in. round baking pans with cooking spray; line with waxed paper and coat the paper. Set aside. In a small saucepan, heat chocolate and water over low heat until chocolate is melted. Remove from the heat; cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar and sugar blend until well blended. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the baby food, chocolate mixture and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Transfer to prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 24-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Discard waxed paper.
- For frosting, in a Dutch oven, combine sugar and 3/4 cup milk. Bring to a rapid boil over medium heat. Boil for 5-6 minutes or until mixture is thickened and light caramel-colored, whisking constantly. Remove from the heat; gradually whisk in remaining milk. Let stand for 5 minutes to cool slightly, stirring occasionally.
- Gradually whisk in yolks. Cook and stir over medium-low heat for 8-12 minutes or until frosting is slightly thickened and reaches 175°. (Frosting is done when a whisk pulled through the mixture exposes the bottom of the pan for a few seconds.) Remove from the heat; stir in butter until melted. Stir in coconut and vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with a third of the frosting. Top with a second cake layer, another third of the frosting and the third cake layer. Stir pecans into remaining frosting; spread over top layer. Refrigerate leftovers.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Splenda sugar blend.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 330 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 284mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Makeover German Sweet Chocolate Cake in Light & Tasty December/January 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.