Makeover Garden Side Dish
Who could resist serving tender veggies smothered in cheese on a bed of fluffy rice—and with an hour to spare? —Jane Davis, Marion, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2-1/3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped onions, divided
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups instant brown rice
- 4 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, julienned
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup salted cashews
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, combine the broth, 1 cup onion, soy sauce, butter and thyme. Bring to a boil; stir in rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet or another Dutch oven, saute the cauliflower, broccoli, peppers and remaining onion in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Spoon over rice.
- Sprinkle with cashews and cheese. Cover and let stand until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 224 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 391mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Brown Rice Vegetable Casserole in Healthy Cooking April/May 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.