Makeover Fudge Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 4 egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 container (2-1/2 ounces) prune baby food
- 5 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Coat a 9-in. springform pan with cooking spray. Place pan on a baking sheet; set aside. In a small saucepan, melt chocolate chips and butter over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 3 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in brown sugar. Beat in the baby food, coffee and reserved chocolate mixture.
- Combine the flour, salt and cinnamon; gradually beat into the chocolate mixture. With clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Spread evenly into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs. Cool for 15 minutes before removing sides of pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat the butter, cocoa, milk and vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Frost top of cake. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 340 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 137mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Aug 4, 2009
This was WONDERFUL. Very rich and decadent.
Aug 12, 2008
The cake sure looks good, but what caught my eye was the person's name--Mary Jo Kopecky--so very close to the Mary Jo Kopeckne who drove off the bridge with Ted Kennedy on Chappaquidick many years ago. Sad story. Barb
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.