Makeover Fruited Wild Rice Pilaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth or vegetable broth
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup golden raisins and cherries
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery, carrot and garlic in butter until tender. Add brown rice and wild rice; stir to coat.
- Stir in the broth, water, fruit, parsley, salt, thyme, sage and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove from the heat; stir in pecans. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 286 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 305mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 7, 2011
Tasty and healthy. I've made it a number of times over the years and have really enjoyed it.
Jan 17, 2010
A friend made this for us for dinner last night. We really enjoyed it. It had tons of flavor, and left you feeling like you just ate really healthy.