Makeover Fruited Wild Rice Pilaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth or vegetable broth
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup golden raisins and cherries
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery, carrot and garlic in butter until tender. Add brown rice and wild rice; stir to coat.
- Stir in the broth, water, fruit, parsley, salt, thyme, sage and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove from the heat; stir in pecans. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 286 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 305mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Apr 7, 2011
Tasty and healthy. I've made it a number of times over the years and have really enjoyed it.
Jan 17, 2010
A friend made this for us for dinner last night. We really enjoyed it. It had tons of flavor, and left you feeling like you just ate really healthy.