Makeover Frozen Chocolate Pie
The original recipe for this fabulous dessert was absolute heaven—until it came to stepping on the scale! Now the fat's been cut by over half, the calories reduced, and your taste buds will never even know the difference! —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 1 hour + freezing
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups reduced-fat vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased and floured 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Bake at 275° for 1 hour. Turn off oven and do not open door; let meringue cool completely inside the oven.
- For chocolate sauce, in a small saucepan, combine the cocoa, cornstarch, salt and remaining sugar. Whisk in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Spread ice cream into meringue shell. Fold whipped topping into cooled chocolate sauce. Spread over ice cream layer; cover and freeze until firm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 328 calories, 8g fat (7g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 86mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (50g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Frozen Chocolate Mint Pie in Healthy Cooking June/July 2011