- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash salt
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the bananas, applesauce and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into butter mixture just until blended.
- Transfer to a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Frost bars. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews forMakeover Frosted Banana Bars
"Served this today and everyone loved it. easy to make and yummy!"
"We sued half the amoutn of icing and they were very good! We will be making these many more times!"
"I USED 1/2 SPENDA & 1/2 SUGAR & MIXED IT WITH A FORK FIRST. FOR THE ICING I CUT BACK THE BUTTER TO 1TBS, THE SUGAR TO 1/4C & ADDED 1/3C OF SPLENDA. I ALSO ADDED 1TSP OF LEMON JUICE. TURNED OUT GREAT!"
"All the sugar in the icing overpowers the taste of the cream cheese and banana bars. Next time maybe I'll make this with less confectioner's sugar."
"These were very moist and tasty. Several people asked for the recipe after trying them."
"I also used 1 cup of sugar instead of 1 1/2. YUM!"
"I love these! I even used light butter and they taste wonderful!Next time I will add chopped walnuts and sprinkle the forsting with walnuts as well."
"This is great!! I used splenda, added cinnamon, walnuts and fat free cream cheese. Really yummy!!!"