Makeover Fiesta Corn Bread
This tender corn bread from Jean Irving of Thousand Oaks, California stays moists and low-fat by using unsweetened applesauce instead of oil. Jazzed up with chopped green chilies and reduced-fat cheddar cheese, this dish will be a hit!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cans (8-3/4 ounces each) cream-style corn
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the corn, egg whites and applesauce (mixture will appear curdled).
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture just until moistened. Fold in the cheese, chilies and pimientos.
- Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 192 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 379mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Makeover Fiesta Corn Bread in Light & Tasty December/January 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.