Makeover Curried Chicken Rice Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes11 servings (2-3/4 quarts)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 4-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter. Add the carrots, celery and onion; saute for 2 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; stir until blended. Stir in seasoned salt and curry. Gradually add milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Gradually add broth. Stir in chicken and rice; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 263 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 524mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 fat-free milk.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 17, 2017
Jan 23, 2016
Jan 22, 2015
Really delicious soup. The only change I made was to double the curry powder. Very filling also!
Feb 12, 2014
Delicious , added extra curry powder. Loved it!
Jan 7, 2014
Delicious! I substituted Soy Milk for the Half & Half like a previous reviewer and you never would have known! Also added salt to taste at the end. Very filling.
Oct 4, 2012
This was an excellent soup! We changed it a little to lighten it some more by using light butter. Instead of halve and halve cream I used regular soy milk. It was a creamy, rich, tasty, and well worth making. Loved it!
Feb 15, 2012
This was really good! So creamy and comforting on a cold day. I liked the mild curry flavor. It seemed like it could using a little more spicing up, but not sure with what. It made a whole lot. I put a little shredded colby jack cheese on top when I served it, and my whole family enjoyed it.
Jan 11, 2011
Super!!! I've made this twice and I keep forgetting how good this is. I added twice the curry and used a cajun seasoning salt. A litle spicy but the creaminess of it balances it out.
Dec 22, 2009
I've made this twice, and it tastes great and is fast and easy. I used fat free 1/2 & 1/2 and added more carrots and celery.
Nov 30, 2009
The whole family loved it. Easy to make. Delicious and creamy soup.