Makeover Curried Chicken Rice Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes11 servings (2-3/4 quarts)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 4-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter. Add the carrots, celery and onion; saute for 2 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; stir until blended. Stir in seasoned salt and curry. Gradually add milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Gradually add broth. Stir in chicken and rice; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 263 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 524mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 fat-free milk.
Sep 17, 2017
Jan 23, 2016
Jan 22, 2015
Really delicious soup. The only change I made was to double the curry powder. Very filling also!
Feb 12, 2014
Delicious , added extra curry powder. Loved it!
Jan 7, 2014
Delicious! I substituted Soy Milk for the Half & Half like a previous reviewer and you never would have known! Also added salt to taste at the end. Very filling.
Oct 4, 2012
This was an excellent soup! We changed it a little to lighten it some more by using light butter. Instead of halve and halve cream I used regular soy milk. It was a creamy, rich, tasty, and well worth making. Loved it!
Feb 15, 2012
This was really good! So creamy and comforting on a cold day. I liked the mild curry flavor. It seemed like it could using a little more spicing up, but not sure with what. It made a whole lot. I put a little shredded colby jack cheese on top when I served it, and my whole family enjoyed it.
Jan 11, 2011
Super!!! I've made this twice and I keep forgetting how good this is. I added twice the curry and used a cajun seasoning salt. A litle spicy but the creaminess of it balances it out.
Dec 22, 2009
I've made this twice, and it tastes great and is fast and easy. I used fat free 1/2 & 1/2 and added more carrots and celery.
Nov 30, 2009
The whole family loved it. Easy to make. Delicious and creamy soup.