Makeover Crunchy Sweet Potato Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1-3/4 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 large), peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain and place in a food processor. Add the milk, egg substitute, egg, butter and extracts; cover and process until smooth. Pour into a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and flour. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over sweet potato mixture; sprinkle with pecans. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 306 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 114mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 8, 2014
This was really good. I omitted the lemon extract since I didn't have it and increased the vanilla to 2 t. I also added some cinnamon to the topping.
Dec 26, 2012
I know this is a lightened up recipe, but it really seemed to be missing something. It almost seemed like it was just mashed sweet potatoes with no flavoring and a little bit of pecans on top.
Dec 22, 2011
Tried this for Thanksgiving and had lots of compliments so I am making it again for Christmas.
Mar 16, 2011
Good warm and cold. Used tub margarine instead of the butter; used lemon juice instead of the extract; mashed my sweet potato mixture in my Vitamix. My 14 month old liked it too.
Dec 26, 2010
very good. quite tasty.
Feb 9, 2010
I like to make this at Thanksgiving. It's so much better than sweet potatoes from a can. My family really enjoys it.