Makeover Crispy Oat Cookies
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, beat the butter, oil 3/4 cup sugar and water. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; gradually add to the butter mixture. Stir in the cereal, oats, coconut and nuts (dough will be sticky).
- Shape into 1-in. balls; roll in some of the remaining sugar. Place dough 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Flatten with a glass dipped in remaining sugar. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 50 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 58mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 18, 2013
This recipe did not yield 60 cookies. They had a great texture but I think a little cinnamon might really help the flavor. They came up kind of bland but I really adored the crunch and low sugar from them.
Feb 25, 2012
I absolutely love this recipe. I use a fork dipped in water to flatten them just a bit instead of the glass I also sometimes stir in a handful of sweetened, dried cranberries before baking. These cookies are so light and crisp, and they stay crispy when sealed in a zip-lock bag. I like the fact that it uses 1/2 butter and the rest as canola oil. In fact, I made the same adjustment to another oatmeal cookie I make, and they came out just fine. I find myself making this recipe often, as my friends love them, and I love sharing out the cookies.
Jul 16, 2009
I loved this one because the taste was great, and so were the lowered amount of sugar and fat. It works for me.