Makeover Crispy Oat Cookies
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, beat the butter, oil 3/4 cup sugar and water. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; gradually add to the butter mixture. Stir in the cereal, oats, coconut and nuts (dough will be sticky).
- Shape into 1-in. balls; roll in some of the remaining sugar. Place dough 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Flatten with a glass dipped in remaining sugar. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 50 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 58mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
May 18, 2013
This recipe did not yield 60 cookies. They had a great texture but I think a little cinnamon might really help the flavor. They came up kind of bland but I really adored the crunch and low sugar from them.
Feb 25, 2012
I absolutely love this recipe. I use a fork dipped in water to flatten them just a bit instead of the glass I also sometimes stir in a handful of sweetened, dried cranberries before baking. These cookies are so light and crisp, and they stay crispy when sealed in a zip-lock bag. I like the fact that it uses 1/2 butter and the rest as canola oil. In fact, I made the same adjustment to another oatmeal cookie I make, and they came out just fine. I find myself making this recipe often, as my friends love them, and I love sharing out the cookies.
Jul 16, 2009
I loved this one because the taste was great, and so were the lowered amount of sugar and fat. It works for me.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.