Makeover Creamy Seafood Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound bay scallops
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup sherry or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a Dutch oven, saute shrimp and scallops in 1 tablespoon butter until shrimp turn pink. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute the celery, red pepper and onion in remaining butter until tender. Sprinkle with flour; stir until blended. Gradually stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Return seafood to the pan; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 274 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 120mg cholesterol, 436mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein.
Jan 16, 2016
This recipe is a keeper! Very simple to make, easy to use ingredients. I couldn't find bay scallops at the store I was at so I bought sea scallops and cut them in quarters. The soup had just enough spice and the color from the red pepper was very appealing.
Apr 17, 2015
I have made this several times. Delicious!
Jan 15, 2015
This was delicious. I also added Old Bay seasoning and that gave it a real nice flavor.
Feb 9, 2014
I made this soup with a shrimp, scallop & calamari mixture. It was so yummy!! The red pepper added just enough spice to it! Can't wait to make it again!!
Oct 26, 2011
I make this all winter long. It's incredible. Add 2 T old bay to the finished product and you think you've gone to seafood heaven!
Feb 7, 2011
This is awesome! I have added half pound of imitation crab meat. We love it!!!
Jan 21, 2011
Great soup recipe! Easy to make, and tastes like I spent hours on it. The wine and the scallops add just the right amount of sweetness.
Dec 29, 2010
I've made this a few times and it's always great! It's one of those meals that you can have ready when you know that family/friends are coming in to visit, but not sure when.
Jan 12, 2010
We love this soup and ower 12 year old son couldnt get enough of it. we will be making it again
Jan 8, 2010
Great soup, easy to make if you like cream soups and seafood which I do.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.