Makeover Creamy Chicken ‘n’ Artichokes
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1 package (8 ounces) frozen artichoke hearts, cooked and drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken in butter for 3-4 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove and keep warm.
- Add wine or broth to the skillet, stirring to loosen any browned bits. Bring to a boil. Return chicken to skillet. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 6-9 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken and keep warm.
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine flour and cream until smooth; gradually stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Divide rice among four plates; top with chicken, sauce, artichokes and olives.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 373 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 575mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Jun 14, 2013
I made this dinner for my husband. I even reduced the calories more by using fat free half and half. Also we used half white wine and half low sodium chicken broth. To add some more whole grain I used instant brown rice. My husband really liked the briny flavor of the olives and artichokes.
Dec 12, 2012
This recipe was delicious, it will become one of my staples. I used Fat Free half and half to limit even more calories. The sauce was one of the best parts! I did find the olives to be a bit too much, next time I think I will add mushrooms.What's great is that my husband and three year old daughter also loved it!
Oct 23, 2012
I find the basics of this recipe wonderful. However, the sauce was way to bland. Not bad, but very bland. I will use it again, but play with a few spices, or something to perk it up a bit.
Aug 22, 2012
This was terrific and easy to prepare. I used canned artichokes, 90 second rice, and calamata olives to make it even simpler!
Feb 8, 2012
Delicious! The only thing I did different was add a little garlic salt to the sauce, as well as on top of the dish for a little added flavor.
Jul 16, 2011
I would like to try this recipe, I do not like artichoke, but with this recipe I may be able to change my mind about artichokes.Mary West
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.