Makeover Creamy Broccoli Casserole
I have to watch my fat intake, so I'm always looking for ways to make my cooking as healthy as possible. I adapted a family recipe to fit my diet. The better-for-you broccoli bake takes advantage of several fat-free or reduced-fat products. It calls for fat-free mayonnaise, reduced-fat cheese, reduced-fat crackers and reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed soup.—Carolyn Creasman, Gastonia, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 6 cups frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat butter-flavored crackers (about 6 crackers)
- Refrigerated butter-flavored spray
- Place 1 in. of water and broccoli in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the soup, mayonnaise, cheese, egg substitute, onion and butter. Drain broccoli; gently stir into soup mixture.
- Pour into a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with crushed crackers. Spritz crumbs with butter-flavored spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 144 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 527mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Makeover Creamy Broccoli Casserole in Light & Tasty December/January 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.