Makeover Cream of Tomato Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes9 servings (3 cups crackers)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) reduced-sodium condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 4 cans (5-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium V8 juice
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- SEASONED OYSTER CRACKERS:
- 3 cups oyster crackers
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon ranch salad dressing mix
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 9 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a food processor, combine stewed tomatoes and cream cheese; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until crisp-tender; Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Whisk in tomato soup, V8 and tomato paste until blended. Gradually stir in cream cheese mixture, half-and-half and basil. Cook and stir until heated through (do not boil).
- In a large bowl, combine the seasoned oyster crackers, oil, dressing mix, garlic powder and dill; toss to coat. Ladle soup into bowls; sprinkle with crackers and cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 303 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 893mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 5, 2014
Excellent soup. Great flavor and easy to make. The only problem was that I didn't like a mouthful of onions in every bit, but I understand onions give it the great flavor, so next time I will throw chopped onions in the food processor.
Oct 11, 2014
I make this recipe all the time. Its easy and everybody loves it. The basil adds a great flavor to it. I make it so its even lower in fat by cutting out butter and using the cheese or crackers.
Feb 1, 2010
This tasted just like tomato soup I've had in a restaurant. It was easy to make and really good. I wish it was a little lower in fat so I could make it more often.