Makeover Cream of Tomato Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes9 servings (3 cups crackers)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) reduced-sodium condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 4 cans (5-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium V8 juice
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- SEASONED OYSTER CRACKERS:
- 3 cups oyster crackers
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon ranch salad dressing mix
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 9 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a food processor, combine stewed tomatoes and cream cheese; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until crisp-tender; Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Whisk in tomato soup, V8 and tomato paste until blended. Gradually stir in cream cheese mixture, half-and-half and basil. Cook and stir until heated through (do not boil).
- In a large bowl, combine the seasoned oyster crackers, oil, dressing mix, garlic powder and dill; toss to coat. Ladle soup into bowls; sprinkle with crackers and cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 303 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 893mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 fat.
Nov 5, 2014
Excellent soup. Great flavor and easy to make. The only problem was that I didn't like a mouthful of onions in every bit, but I understand onions give it the great flavor, so next time I will throw chopped onions in the food processor.
Oct 11, 2014
I make this recipe all the time. Its easy and everybody loves it. The basil adds a great flavor to it. I make it so its even lower in fat by cutting out butter and using the cheese or crackers.
Feb 1, 2010
This tasted just like tomato soup I've had in a restaurant. It was easy to make and really good. I wish it was a little lower in fat so I could make it more often.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.