Makeover Cranberry Rolls
“My boys usually insist I make my cranberry rolls for Christmas morning." These are light and good enough to enjoy any day of the year! Donna Taylor - Portland, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat butter, cubed
- 2 large eggs
- CRANBERRY FILLING:
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed and chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon fat-free half-and-half
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth (dough will be very sticky). Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a small saucepan, bring the filling ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Cool.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into an 18x12-in. rectangle. Spread filling over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 18 slices.
- Place cut side down in two 8-in. square baking dishes coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 40 minutes. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, beat the confectioners’ sugar, butter and half-and-half until blended. Spread over warm rolls.