Makeover Cranberry Pecan Scones
The changes in this made over recipe cut the calories by a quarter and the fat, saturated fat and cholesterol by half. But the make over scones still have a tender texture, an appealing orange flavor and tart bursts of cranberry goodness.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon water
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk the egg, orange juice, vanilla and orange zest. Stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in cranberries and pecans. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Pat dough into a 6-1/2-in. circle on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Combine egg white and water; brush over dough. Cut into eight wedges (do not separate).
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 250 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 321mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Makeover Cranberry Pecan Scones in Light & Tasty December/January 2004