Makeover Country-Fried Steak
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 beef top round steak (1 pound)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup plus 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup 2% milk
- Cut steak into four serving-size pieces; pound to 1/4-in. thickness. Combine the salt, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and onion powder; sprinkle over steaks.
- Place buttermilk and 3/4 cup flour in separate shallow bowls. Dip steaks in buttermilk, then flour.
- In a large skillet, cook steaks in oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until meat is no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in remaining flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in remaining garlic powder and pepper. Serve with steak.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 318 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 410mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 30g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 16, 2013
Will be making this again!
Dec 4, 2011
I make this about once a month. I wish I could get the coating to stay on the meat better.
Mar 29, 2010
I rated this three stars b/c I think it would be better with cube steak. The gravy was good though!
Feb 16, 2010
My husband and I both love country fried steak. This recipe was delicious and easy and is now one of our favorites.
Jan 27, 2010
I will use cube steak next time, breading didn't stay on meat but there is a trick to it...google how and gravy was wonderful, just make sure you get all the lumps out or it won't taste good! I learned how to make gravy years ago, pretty easy. Very tasty recipe!
Jan 24, 2010
I cut the recipe to two servings. I had trouble getting the breading to stick to the meat. It wound up stuck to the pan. The gravy was good.
Jan 23, 2010
The steak was very good - the gravy didn't work for me tho. Got to try that again...