Makeover Country-Fried Steak
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 beef top round steak (1 pound)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup plus 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup 2% milk
- Cut steak into four serving-size pieces; pound to 1/4-in. thickness. Combine the salt, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and onion powder; sprinkle over steaks.
- Place buttermilk and 3/4 cup flour in separate shallow bowls. Dip steaks in buttermilk, then flour.
- In a large skillet, cook steaks in oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until meat is no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in remaining flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in remaining garlic powder and pepper. Serve with steak.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 318 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 410mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 30g protein.
Nov 16, 2013
Will be making this again!
Dec 4, 2011
I make this about once a month. I wish I could get the coating to stay on the meat better.
Mar 29, 2010
I rated this three stars b/c I think it would be better with cube steak. The gravy was good though!
Feb 16, 2010
My husband and I both love country fried steak. This recipe was delicious and easy and is now one of our favorites.
Jan 27, 2010
I will use cube steak next time, breading didn't stay on meat but there is a trick to it...google how and gravy was wonderful, just make sure you get all the lumps out or it won't taste good! I learned how to make gravy years ago, pretty easy. Very tasty recipe!
Jan 24, 2010
I cut the recipe to two servings. I had trouble getting the breading to stick to the meat. It wound up stuck to the pan. The gravy was good.
Jan 23, 2010
The steak was very good - the gravy didn't work for me tho. Got to try that again...
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.