Makeover Coconut Cream Pie
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 3 cups fat-free milk
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1-1/4 cups sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 reduced-fat graham cracker crust (8 inches)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 egg whites
- In a large saucepan, combine 2/3 cup sugar, flour and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in 3/4 cup coconut and extracts.
- Place crust on a baking sheet; add filling and set aside.
- For meringue, combine cornstarch and remaining sugar in a small saucepan. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and clear. In a bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Pour hot sugar mixture in a slow, steady stream into egg whites, beating constantly until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Sprinkle with remaining coconut. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate until chilled.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 350 calories, 9g fat (6g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 213mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mar 19, 2013
Very "homey" keeping the old-fashioned flavor. Thanks for the great makeover recipe.
Mar 22, 2009
After my mother died, I looked for her recipe for my favorite pie--coconut cream--but was unable to find it anywhere. When I saw this recipe, I decided to try it, though I really wasn't expecting it to be as good as hers. It is amazingly close, and I'm sure it's healthier! Thanks for giving me a great option.