Makeover Chocolate Chip Snack Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add egg, then egg whites, beating well after each addition. Beat in the sour cream, applesauce and vanilla (mixture will appear curdled). Combine the flours, baking powder, salt and baking soda; stir into butter mixture just until blended.
- Pour half of the batter into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle half over the batter. Top with half of the chocolate chips.
- Gently top with remaining batter; spread evenly. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar and chips. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 215 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 194mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Aug 16, 2012
We really enjoyed this. I used whole wheat pastry flour instead of the whole wheat because I like the texture in baked goods better. I also used darkchocolate chips and I didn't measure so I was probably extra generous.
Aug 29, 2011
This was just ok. Even my daughter who has a huge sweet tooth wasn't that thrilled about it. I'll go on to another recipe.
Apr 19, 2011
This was so easy to make and very yummy, the whole wheat flour adds a lot to it. Make sure when you put the choc. chip mixture for the first layer, you take care to get the cinn. and sugar out of the bowl. This is a great snack, but also great for brunch instead of coffee cake.
Mar 20, 2011
It was just okay...I thought the consistency was fine, but the chocolate chips didn't seem to fit with the recipe. It wasn't anything outstanding.
Mar 14, 2011
Very moist and delicious! Not to mention guilt-free! My husband and I polished this cake off in 3 days!
Mar 13, 2011
This was so good, it was moist, and delicious it will be a favorite in my recipe book.
Mar 12, 2011
If Hubby doesn't like it, out it goes! I thought the semi-sweet chips were not a very good fit with the cake, but milk choc chips might have improved the flavor.
Mar 11, 2011
The batter was thick and hard to spread. The finished cake was dry and not very tasty, so I threw it out.
Mar 11, 2011
Very tasty. Very moist. Applesauce was prominent taste. I will make this again
Mar 10, 2011
Thought this was delicious. Nice, thick & light cake.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.