Makeover Chocolate-Caramel Nut Cake Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- CARAMEL TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- MARSHMALLOW FROSTING:
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 square (1 ounce) semisweet chocolate
- 1. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in applesauce and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 3. For caramel topping, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and flour. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot topping into egg yolk; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- 4. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Spread over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges; sprinkle with walnuts. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until set.
- 5. For frosting, in a small heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, water, egg whites and cream of tartar over low heat. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches 160°, about 8-10 minutes. Pour into a large bowl; add vanilla. Beat on high until frosting forms stiff peaks, about 7 minutes. Spread over cake.
- 6. In a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Drizzle over frosting. Chill until serving. Yield: 20 servings.
1 piece: 278 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 221mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Makeover Chocolate-Caramel Nut Cake
"Like the caramel and marshmallow toppings however the cake not up to par."
"I increased all incredients by 1/3 to serve 15 people and added 1 c cocoa to the recipe requirements.Frosting took way too long to set up!Everyone raved about flavor and thoroughly enjoyed this recipe.I will make it again, but only for a very important occasion."
"The only problem with this cake is that there is so much of it! It is too much temptation! A delicious recipe. It was very good and reasonably easy to make. I would suggest that an alternative way to know when the frosting is right would be nice. I had to guess at 160 deg as my candy thermometer went belly up and didn't work."
"Low fat buttermilk has little fat. Full fat buttermilk does. It depends on which one you buy."
"Just a comment. Buttermilk has little or no fat."
"low fat....are you kidding me. with 2 cups of buttermilk and 1 1/2 cups sugar. When it comes to desserts...there is no such thing as low fat. It's the sugar, flour and buttermilk that makes it fattening."
"Sounds like WAY TOO MUCH TROUBLE!!!"
"How can a "light" dessert be almost 300 calories and 3.5 carb servings?"