Makeover Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) fettuccine
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 6 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat butter, divided
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- Cook fettuccine according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook the chicken, Italian seasoning and 2 garlic cloves in 1 tablespoon butter until chicken is no longer pink; remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in remaining butter until tender. Add remaining garlic; saute 1-2 minutes longer. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended; gradually add milk and cream.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add the Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, tomatoes, sour cream, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and reserved chicken; cook and stir until heated through.
- Drain fettuccine; serve with sauce. Sprinkle each serving with 1 teaspoon of remaining Parmesan cheese.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Land O'Lakes light stick butter.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 462 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 766mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 35g protein.
Feb 17, 2014
This is a great light and fresh pasta recipe.
Aug 21, 2012
This is a good recipe that could be better and still healthy. I used Monterey Jack in place of the Co-Jack and fat free evaporated milk. I also had plum tomatoes from our garden to use. I think next time I may use Greek Yogurt in place of the sour cream and a better quality Parmesan or Asiago in place of the cheap stuff I used this time.
Dec 15, 2011
Very good!! My picky boys even liked it!! Served with rolls and a salad, made a great meal :)
Jan 9, 2010
Delicious! Even my 2 year old devoured it.
Jan 31, 2009
My family loved this! (I did thicken the sauce a bit more with some cornstarch.) They said it's called makeover because you should make it over and over!
Oct 18, 2008
We really liked this lighter recipe. I used fat free evaporated milk instead of light half and half. sjc
Oct 15, 2008
This recipe is so good! Delicious! It makes a whole lot though.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.