Makeover Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon each ground cumin and dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onion, divided
- 1. In a saucepan, bring the chicken, water and 2 teaspoons garlic to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove chicken; reserve liquid. Cut chicken into thin strips. Set aside.
- 2. In a nonstick skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add remaining garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add chilies and seasoning; saute 1 minute. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in 1 cup chicken broth, milk and reserved liquid. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in 1 cup cheese until melted. Combine 1 cup of cheese sauce and chicken; set aside.
- 3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat remaining chicken broth. Dip tortillas, one at a time, in hot broth just until limp, about 4 seconds on each side. Spoon about 1/4 cup mixture down the center of each tortilla; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon green onion. Roll up and place seam side down in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour remaining sauce evenly over tortillas. Cover and bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; cover an let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with remaining green onions. Yield: 6 servings.
2 each: 418 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 1197mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 6g fiber), 35g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable.
Reviews for Makeover Chicken Enchiladas
"I made this recipe exactly as instructed and it was delicious."
"I failed to add, to just leave out the salt in this recipe, use salt free herbs instead."
"You can lower the sodium level (nearly 1200 mg is still high for someone with high blood pressure)even more by just using the water the chicken is boiled in and water instead of the broth and warm the tortillas in the microwave also. I fill a tortilla while one is warming."
"I also made this gluten-free by substituting 1/4 cup cornstarch for the flour. I add it to the broth/milk before adding to the hot mixture."
"This is tasty. It is pretty time consuming, as to be expected. I used more chicken 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 lbs. I also grilled my chicken with some garlic salt and a spice rub instead of boiling it. I was able to skip the step of dipping in the chicken broth by simply microwaving the tortillas for about 10 seconds. Would be great with refried beans on the side."
"Very good! Restaurant quality! My family doesn't like spicy foods, so I only used 1 can of the green chiles and 1 Tbsp of chile powder instead of the 4 tsp. I also used (full fat) colby jack cheese. I didn't have corn tortillas so I used Chi-chi's cafe stlye enchilada size tortillas. (made with corn flour) They are bigger so I used 5 and filled them with about 1/2 cup filling. I will be making them again soon. Maybe for our Super Bowl party. So good!"
"Excellent! My husband says to keep this recipe. Want a little more heat? Replace 1 of the (4 ounce) cans with diced Jalapenos."