Makeover Chicken A La King Casserole
Using reduced-fat soup, fat-free evaporated milk, reduced-fat process cheese, less butter and no added salt, this recipe is a great makeover to a classic. It is still deliciously creamy and it's a crowd-pleasure.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked wide egg noodles
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2/3 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 6 ounces cubed reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta)
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the soup and milk. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add the chicken, celery, green pepper and pimientos.
- Drain noodles; add to chicken mixture and mix well. Transfer to a shallow 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 400° for 20 minutes.
- Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over the top. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until heated through and golden.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 306 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 405mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat.
Jul 5, 2012
Really good. Like the crunch of the almonds on top.
Aug 31, 2011
Didn't add almonds but was still very good!
Sep 5, 2010
Took a double batch of this to a family reunion today and didn't bring any home!