Makeover Cherry Pie Delight
Chock-full of cherries, this little gem is packed with all the flavors that make cherry pie a classic, in a far lighter form. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons coarse sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup cherry juice blend
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) pitted tart cherries, drained
- 1 cup reduced-fat vanilla ice cream
- Roll out pastry onto a lightly floured surface. Cut into 1/2-in.-wide strips; make a lattice crust. Beat egg white and water; brush over top. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Using a floured 2-in. round cookie cutter, cut out eight circles. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in cherry juice until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; add cherries.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup warm cherry mixture into each of eight dessert dishes. Top with 2 tablespoons ice cream and garnish with a cookie.
Editor's Note: Save time and calories by making the delightful little cookies (shown in photo) instead of an entire pie crust for this dessert. These crispy toppers are so simple to make, yet make an impressive presentation. See photo
Nutrition Facts1 each: 183 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 59mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.