This made over recipe has less than half the fat, saturated fat and cholesterol of the original recipe...plus 32% fewer calories. Yet the thin crust retains its buttery taste and the fruity filling is still sweet and gooey.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
Recommended: 35 Treats Quick Enough to Make on a Weeknight
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup quartered maraschino cherries
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut
- In a food processor, place flour and confectioners' sugar; cover and process until blended. Add butter; cover and pulse 15 times or until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Press into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, combine the egg, egg whites, sugar and vanilla in a bowl. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add the egg mixture. Stir in cherries, nuts and coconut. Spread over crust. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until firm. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Makeover Cherry Coconut Bars in Light & Tasty October/November 2004, p11
Reviews forMakeover Cherry Coconut Bars
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 1, 2008
"Would like to make printable in different sizes"