Makeover Carl’s Chicken Noodle Soup
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 1 hour 40 min.
Makes10 servings (3-3/4 quarts)
- 1 pound bone-in chicken breast halves
- 12 cups water
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 4 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium chicken base
- 3-1/2 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cups frozen okra, thawed and sliced
- Place the chicken, water, bay leaves and pepper in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from broth; set aside to cool. Strain broth, discarding bay leaves. Skim fat from broth. When cool enough to handle, remove chicken from bones and cut into 1/2-inch pieces; discard bones.
- In a large stockpot coated with cooking spray, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the celery, beans, carrots, parsley and Italian seasoning. Stir in broth and chicken base. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in noodles and corn. Return to a boil; cook, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Add okra; cook 4-6 minutes longer or until noodles and okra are tender. Stir in chicken; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 149 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 345mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 26, 2013
I made a big batch of this soup for my lunches and froze about half of it. I disagree with the reviewer who said it was bland - I thought the flavor was great! Not overly salty, which is usually my problem with chicken soups. The homemade stock really added to the flavor, and the okra was a fun and delicious addition. Definitely going to become a staple in my freezer!
May 23, 2012
This was VERY healthy, but Very bland. It didn't have a lot of flavor. I was actually embarrassed to serve it to my family. :(
Feb 9, 2012
This is a wonderful recipe, brimming with flavor from the "home-made broth" and the variety of veggies. I served it to a bunch of northerners who aren't familiar with okra and they loved it... the okra flavor/texture doesn't stick out but works really great with everything else. I am making it again this weekend and doubling it!