This slimmed-down version of a favorite brunch recipe was requested by Carla Weeks in Independence, Iowa. It's hearty, wholesome and boasts all the gourmet flavor of the original!
Recommended: Skinny Casseroles That Leave You Guilt-Free
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat butter, cubed
- 8 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups egg substitute
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter. Add broccoli and onion; saute until crisp-tender. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, egg substitute, 1 cup cheese, milk, cream, salt and pepper. Stir in broccoli mixture. Pour into a 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Broccoli Cheddar Brunch Bake in Healthy Cooking April/May 2009, p20
Reviews forMakeover Broccoli Cheddar Brunch Bake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 5, 2014
"This is so good and left overs if there are any are just as good"