Makeover Broccoli Cheddar Brunch Bake
This slimmed-down version of a favorite brunch recipe was requested by Carla Weeks in Independence, Iowa. It's hearty, wholesome and boasts all the gourmet flavor of the original!
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat butter, cubed
- 8 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups egg substitute
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter. Add broccoli and onion; saute until crisp-tender. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, egg substitute, 1 cup cheese, milk, cream, salt and pepper. Stir in broccoli mixture. Pour into a 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Land O'Lakes light stick butter.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 178 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 139mg cholesterol, 459mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Broccoli Cheddar Casserole in Healthy Cooking April/May 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.