Makeover Brie and Sausage Brunch Bake
The aroma of this lower-fat egg bake with all the flavor of the original will have mouths watering! —Becky Hicks, Forest Lake, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 cups cubed day-old sourdough bread
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 6 ounces Brie cheese, rind removed and cubed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 cups egg substitute
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 green onions, sliced
- In a large skillet, cook the turkey, onion, fennel, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, cayenne and nutmeg over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Place bread cubes in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with turkey mixture, red peppers, Brie and Parmesan cheeses and basil. In a large bowl, whisk the egg substitute, milk, mustard and remaining pepper; pour over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 4-6 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Sprinkle with green onions.