VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 8 cups cubed day-old bread
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 2-1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1-3/4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Place bread cubes in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, egg substitute, milk, cream, sugar, butter, vanilla and cinnamon. Pour evenly over bread.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, for caramel sauce, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and flour. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; gently stir in butter. Serve with pudding. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 15 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Bread Pudding in Healthy Cooking October/November 2010, p23