We lightened up biscuits and gravy to curb our guilt for eating them the day after having pancakes. Here’s a terrific homemade recipe for brunch guests. —Ian Cliffe, Milwaukee, WI
Featured In: 30 Better-for-You Breakfasts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound bulk chicken sausage
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, whisk flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add buttermilk; stir just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times. Pat dough into a 7x5-in. rectangle (about 1 in. thick); cut into six pieces. Place 2 in. apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake 8-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add sausage and onion; cook 4-6 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Add garlic, thyme, pepper flakes and pepper; cook 30 seconds longer.
- Add broth to pan. In a small bowl, mix flour and milk until smooth; stir into sausage mixture. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 10-12 minutes or until thickened.
- Split biscuits in half; serve warm with gravy. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Biscuits & Gravy in Taste of Home December 2015, p34
Reviews forMakeover Biscuits & Gravy
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review