Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat butter
- 6 cups cubed day-old bread (1/2-inch cubes)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- In a large bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients. Combine the egg, milk, oil and applesauce; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Transfer to a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Place cubed bread on baking sheets; bake for 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut cornbread into 1/2-in. cubes; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute the celery, onion and pecans in butter until vegetables are tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the cornbread, cubed bread, eggs, seasonings and enough broth to reach desired moistness (about 2-1/2 cups).
- Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake 8-10 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160° and top is lightly browned.
3/4 cup: 267 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 616mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.