- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3/4 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 jar (26 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 1% cottage cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 6 whole wheat lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Italian cheese blend
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Set aside 1 cup spaghetti sauce; stir remaining sauce into meat mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until thickened.
- In a small saucepan, melt cream cheese over medium heat. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cottage cheese, egg and parsley.
- Spread meat sauce into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with three noodles, Italian cheese blend, 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning and cream cheese mixture. Layer with remaining noodles and reserved spaghetti sauce; sprinkle with mozzarella and remaining Italian seasoning.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Bake, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forMakeover Beef & Sausage Lasagna
"Adjusted some of the ingredients slightly like skipping the peppers and trading the onion for just a small bit of onion salt instead...used ground turkey instead of ground beef and traded the italian seasoning for less of some garlic powder...all in all it was the best lasagna my family has ever tasted - even better than a restaurant like olive garden!!! This definitely made its way into my recipe book to make again!"
"I made this recipe ver batum as it calls for. And it was delicious! Was searching high and low for a great lasagna recipe and I've found it!"
"This was really good. I thought I'd miss having fewer noodles in it but I didn't. I didn't put any sausage in it. Instead, I just used 1 lb of ground beef instead of 3/4 of a pound. I also added 1 more cup of spaghetti sauce to the meat sauce mixture cause my fam likes saucy lasagna! I am so impressed with the 3 g of fiber and 23 g of protein! Wow, this really fills you up!"
"Simply the best. Rich, zesty, cheesy goodness in every bite. Don't change a thing on this one."
"BEST healthier lasagna I've ever made!"
"I used ricotta instead of cottage cheese and it turned out great! No one even noticed the whole wheat noodles!"
"No the BEST lasagna I've ever had, but quite tasty. I loved that it didn't have layer upon layer upon layer of ingredients...it was pretty easy to make and assemble."
"OMG, this is the BOMB. We will def. make this again!"
"I am on a weight loss journey and have lost 35 pds so far. I came across this recipe and made it and it was amazing! I used all the ingredients but I did assemble it a little differently and I used ground chicken instead of ground beef(to lower the calories and fat a bit more) it was absolutely delicious!!! It presented very well also!!"