- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition (batter will be sticky). In a small bowl, combine the walnuts, sugars and cinnamon.
- Spread half of the batter into an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with apples; sprinkle with half of the topping. Gently top with remaining batter and topping. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forMakeover Apple Coffee Cake
"A nice cake with soft texture .Next time I?ll add extra nutmeg to the apple first to improve flavor and then add the apples to the batter as suggested. Thanks for sharing."
"Great recipe! I made this earlier today and I love it so much I just have to leave a comment. I did make a couple of modifications to the recipe to make it a bit healthier. Instead of 2 cups of flour I added 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of ground oats/oat flour; instead of butter I added 1/3 cup of extra virgin coconut oil, and I also added dried cranberries and golden raisins instead of walnuts. This recipe is very delicious and easy to make!."
"Delicious! This was a nice, plain cake and was really filling and lower calories. I get many requests for this cake and have made it 3 times already. For the tart apples, I used a combination of 1 granny smith and 1 fuji/cortland/gala. Also I omitted the walnuts since we are allergic. Instead, I crumbled 6 soft oatmeal rasin cookies into the brown sugar and cinnamon mixture that was spread over the middle and top layers of the cake. It gave it a nice flavor, and looked pretty when cut. overall this is a hit and will be added to my recipe repertorie."
"This is a go to recipe for me. I usually have the ingredients on hand anyway, and it is easy to make. I have done it several times, both with and without the nuts, and it is always a hit."
"This was good. I didn't have any sour cream so I substituted it with fat free greek yogurt. I also added the apples to the batter and put it in a 9x13 and baked for 25 minutes."
"Great recipe!ShelleyjCA2AZ I do not think it is fair for you to randomly choose how many stars to give this recipe when you haven't tried it!!"
"This was delicious! Like others, I substituted Greek yogurt for the sour cream. I used pecans instead of walnuts, too."
"I substituted pumpkin for the sour cream and used half and half flour it taste great and came out fabulous. I also used the splenda mix sugar and I made this diebetic friendly."
"I made a few modifications by using a 6 oz container of Greek Yougurt and just a bit of applesauce in place of the sour cream and also substituted half of the flour with whole wheat flour and was pleased with the results! Maybe made it even a bit more healthy!"
"gave it 3 stars, as I haven't made it...I was wondering....if one used egg beaters and fat-free sour cream how do you think this would turn out....I am going to try that and see...as it sure sounds good...."