This side dish offers make-ahead convenience with crisp, light and refreshing results. Ruth Lovett of Bay City, Texas adds olives and vinegar for a fun twist.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt, celery seed and mustard seed
- In a small bowl, combine the cabbage, onion, peppers and olives. In a small saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute. Pour over cabbage mixture and stir gently. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Stir well; serve with a slotted spoon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 155 calories, 11g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 351mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 2 fat.
Dec 29, 2018
I have been making this recipe for years when it was just called 'Overnight Slaw'. Hubby isn't fond of celery so I omit the celery seed and double the mustard seeds. Absolutely my favourite.