- 1 pound bulk regular or spicy pork sausage
- 1/2 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 2 tubes (8 ounces each) refrigerated crescent rolls
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook and crumble sausage over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes; drain. Add pepper and green onion; cook and stir 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; cool 10 minutes. Stir in cream cheese until blended; cool completely.
- Unroll one can of crescent dough and separate into four rectangles; pinch perforations to seal. Press each rectangle to 6x4-1/2 in.; spread each with 1/3 cup filling to within 1/4 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seam to seal. Roll gently to make logs smooth. Place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet, seam side down. Repeat with remaining crescent dough. Freeze, covered, until firm, about 1 hour.
Cut each log into 10 slices. Bake on parchment paper-lined baking sheets until golden brown, 15-18 minutes. Serve warm.
Freeze option: Freeze pinwheels in freezer containers, separating layers with waxed paper. To use, bake frozen pinwheels as directed, increasing time by 3-5 minutes. Yield: about 6-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forMake-Ahead Sausage Pinwheels
"This was very good. I used Italian seasoned turkey meat ( Jennie O Brand) instead of the pork sausage. I also added some garlic, pepper and a little salt. Everyone loved them. These make a large batch so it is nice to have extra's on hand to pull out of the freezer for a great appetizer that you put together ahead of time. The measurements for the filling was spot on to put on the crescent rolls.Just the right amount and it did not leak out. Thanks for sharing this great recipe Cindy. Linda H from Franklin, WI"
"They are good, a nice addition to the snack table but l found them a little to salty. I would try and find a reduced sodium sausage the next time. Janet VFE"