Make-Ahead Rhubarb Slush
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + freezing
- 8 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 8 cups water
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- Lemon-lime soda, optional
- In a large kettle, combine the rhubarb, water, sugar and lemon juice; cook until the rhubarb is tender. Strain, reserving juice. Add gelatin to hot juice, stirring until dissolved. Pour into a 5-qt. container or individual plastic cups; freeze.
- To serve, allow mixture to thaw until slushy. Add 2 tablespoons lemon-lime soda to each serving if desired.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 239 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 20mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (57g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Jan 13, 2013
This recipe is so easy and quick to make, so refreshing on a hot day, and everybody loves it. I'll keep the frozen mixture on hand as much as possible.
May 29, 2009
This slush is excellent with a splash of vodka!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.