Make-Ahead Rhubarb Slush
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + freezing
- 8 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 8 cups water
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- Lemon-lime soda, optional
- In a large kettle, combine the rhubarb, water, sugar and lemon juice; cook until the rhubarb is tender. Strain, reserving juice. Add gelatin to hot juice, stirring until dissolved. Pour into a 5-qt. container or individual plastic cups; freeze.
- To serve, allow mixture to thaw until slushy. Add 2 tablespoons lemon-lime soda to each serving if desired.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 239 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 20mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (57g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 13, 2013
This recipe is so easy and quick to make, so refreshing on a hot day, and everybody loves it. I'll keep the frozen mixture on hand as much as possible.
May 29, 2009
This slush is excellent with a splash of vodka!