Leftover bread came in handy one weekend when I had unexpected overnight guests. I had just enough to create this sweet brunch dish.—Emily Kingsborough, Dublin, OH
Recommended: Our Berriest Breakfasts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2/3 cup cream cheese, softened
- 20 diagonal slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 8 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Assorted fresh fruit, optional
- Maple syrup, optional
- Spread cream cheese over 10 bread slices; top with remaining bread. Arrange sandwiches overlapping in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk condensed milk and orange juice until blended. Whisk in eggs, milk, orange peel, vanilla and cinnamon. Pour over top; press bread down to submerge. Refrigerate, several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove French toast from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. If desired, serve with fresh fruit and syrup. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Make-Ahead Orange French Toast in Breakfast & Brunch Bookazine 2015, p35